Righteousness by Faith

GOD. He beheld sin, lived amongst sinners, yet was without sin. He chose not to sin; what about you? Living amongst sinful men and women as the man Jesus Christ, God was tempted, but He did not fall. Today, if you will have faith in Jesus, He will help you overcome sin. Even in this cesspool of sin, you can emerge victorious!

Saturday, December 23, 2006

23/12 Sabbath: Concurrence

Correspondence with a friend
23 December 2006 14:42:69

Dear Ian,

Before time runs out on you, I urge you, once again, to continue exploring the Sabbath issue till you arrive at either one of these 3 conclusions:-

1) that it has been abolished,
2) that it is still in force, but only binding on the Israelites,
3) that it is still in force, and is binding on all men.

I have arrived at a place that compells me to preach the Sabbath truth till Kingdom come; this concerns a commandment of God and the well-being of the Christian people. It is imperative that I spread the joy and humility of the Sabbath.

If you pick either #1) or #2), I'll stand down, requesting perhaps a brief explanation on your part. If you pick #3), a testimony is in order. Either way I am asking for your response. I have left not a few books at your disposal -- a wealth of opinion and a storehouse of research.

It does not matter how long you take; perhaps studying this issue during the 9-week vacation may seem like a good idea. Go ahead. However, I encourage you not to shrug it off. I believe the Sabbath is of great importance; my beliefs may not count for anything, though.

========

Dearest Victor,

As of present, I am more sympathetic towards the third conclusion. The materials you left with me were most persuasive and enlightening, quoting relevant scriptures and presenting strong claims for Saturday as the rightful day of Sabbath. Yet there is this hesitation, reservations if you must, that my previously cherished understanding has thrown my way. A dilemma was thus birthed--a formidable opponent to defeat.

In other words, I am still wrestling with it though I am 80% convinced. More time is absolutely necessary to clear away any traces of doubt that might linger to undermine the new foundation under construction. (The analogy should strike a chord with you since you're reading a building related course) *Ian is getting cheeky. :p

This whole struggle and certain unwillingness to accept the Saturday Sabbath gives evidence to my partiality and inability to be absolutely objective all the time. It is strange that I should cherish the familiar though it may be proven faulty. Angst is almost an inevitable by-product when the status quo, especially one accepted without questioning and the norm, is challenged.

That said, the truth is more important than cherished notions and man-made theology. This should be the primary impetus for us to seek the truth even though fingers may start pointing and tongues go wagging that a heretic is in the making. Pleasing God is of higher importance than man's acceptance. Yet again, it is much easier to dish out such big principles than it is to apply due to our carnal nature.

"I have arrived at a place that compells me to preach the Sabbath truth till Kingdom come; this concerns a commandment of God and the well-being of the Christian people. It is imperative that I spread the joy and humility of the Sabbath. " Rejoicing with you over having established this truth with the leading of the Holy Spirit.

Can't recall whether I have updated you on the outcome of my driving test. In short......(removed)

Will stop here for now.

Cheerio,
Ian

P.S. I'm glad to hear that the flood hasn't affected your home. God has been merciful.

No comments: